Residential Building Permits

To obtain a building permit, a completed permit application must be submitted to the municipality along with all required documentation.

A building permit is not required for detached accessory storage buildings no greater than 120 ft2 in area. 

Once all required documents are received, permits are usually processed within 5 business days. 

Residential Permit Requirements

You must submit:

  1. A completed building permit application form.
  2. A site plan showing the location of the proposed building on the property. The site plan must show the distance from the proposed building to each property line. A Surveyor's Construction Layout will be required for any building permit for any primary or accessory building or structure (including in-ground swimming pools) with a permanent foundation. This applies to the urban areas of Grunthal, Blumenort, Kleefeld, Mitchell and New Bothwell. Hand drawn or digitally drafted site plans will no longer be accepted for these types of projects in these areas.
  3. Buildings with basements that are deeper than 4 ft. below the natural grade of the soil (and are located in the urban areas of Grunthal, Blumenort, Kleefeld, Mitchell, New Bothwell or a designated Rural Residential area)  must submit a geotechnical engineer's report satisfactory to the RM of Hanover. 
  4. Engineered drawings. The drawings MUST contain the property's civic address or legal description.
  5. A Surveyor’s Staking Certificate if the property is 2 acres or less in size. The municipality may require this document for larger properties at its discretion.
  6. A Surveyor's Construction Layout Drawing is also required for buildings with permanent foundations in the urban areas of the RM of Hanover.

In addition to these documents, the following documents may be required based on the circumstances of your project:

Building Permits expire if they are not acted upon within six (6) months of being issued or if work under the permit is not completed within 24 months of the date of issuance. An extension can be applied for if you are approaching your expiry date and your project is not completed. 
Access (Driveway) Permits
Lots in rural areas may need to install a driveway if the property has never been developed. In this case you will need to apply for an Access Permit. An Access Permit allows you to connect your property to a municipal road and will detail the size of the culvert required (if any). Access Permits are not required in urban areas unless there is a ditch in front of the property. We will determine if you require an Access Permit as part of the building permit process. You may apply for an Access Permit independently of your building permit. Please contact 204-346-7125 for information on how to proceed.
Utility Permits
In urban areas additional permits will be required to hook up to municipal utilities. These permits are generated as part the building permit process and do not require additional applications or documentation. If you have any questions regarding connecting to municipal utilities please contact the Department of Public Works at 204-346-7129.
Permit Deposits
A refundable permit deposit fee is charged on all new residential, commercial and industrial construction; as well as for major renovations or alterations. The deposit fee is $2,500. This amount is held by the municipality until all inspections are successfully completed. If an inspection fails, a fee of $100 is garnished from the deposit; if an inspection is missed, a fee of $250 is garnished for each missed inspection. The deposit may be forfeited entirely if the project is not completed within 24 months and no extension has been granted. A deposit may also be forfeited if the building elevation is +/-3 inches from elevations set by the municipality at the beginning of the project.

An additional dwelling unit fee of $3000 (rising to $3250 as of Jan. 1, 2022) is charged on each additional residential unit such as duplexes, side-by-sides, multi-family dwellings, secondary suites etc. This fee is non-refundable.


Demolition Permit

A demolition permit is required any time a structure is demolished or removed from a property. Demolition permits are free of charge. 

Finishing a Basement

To finish out your basement, you require a permit. You must submit the following:

  • Permit Application Form,
  • A Basement Layout Plan

The basement layout plan must have the following:

  • The location of the bedrooms, 
  • The size and location of all the windows in the basement (bedrooms must have egress windows)
  • The location of all smoke detectors (one per bedroom plus one in the hall or common area outside the bedrooms,
  • Location of the cold air returns (one per bedroom plus one in the common area).

If you are building a basement suite an additional dwelling unit fee of $2750 will be applied to your permit fee.

Accessory Buildings (shops, sheds, gazebos, greenhouses etc.)

Accessory storage buildings not greater than 120 ft2 in building area do not need a building permit. All buildings greater than 120 ft2 do require a building permit. In addition to a building permit application form and site plan, you must provide plans for your project. If your building is between 120 ft2 and 750 ft2 you may submit drafted plans or an Accessory Structure Checklist.

For structures over 750 ft2 engineered drawings will be required.

Exception: Applications for Pole Sheds must be accompanied by engineered drawings, no matter their size.

Do You Live Along a Highway?

If you live along a Provincial Road (PR) or a Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH), you may need to get a permit from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation (MIT) prior to applying for a building permit. Any structure that is to be located within 125 ft of a property line bordering a provincial road must obtain proper MIT permits before applying for a building permit. For stretches of PTH 59 and PTH 12 the required setback is 250 ft. The permits issued by Manitoba Infrastructure will set the required minimum setback for the building on the side of the building parallel to the provincial highway. Please obtain the required permits from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation prior to submitting your building permit application to the RM of Hanover.