Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have to license your dog in Hanover?

Yes, the RM of Hanover requires each dog owner to license their dog(s) in all areas of the Municipality. Dog owners are required to provide a current rabies vaccination for the dog(s) and to complete an application to receive a dog tag.  All licenses are good for the life of the dog, and there are no yearly fees. Learn more about pets in Hanover.

How many animals can I have on my yard?

Depending on the zoning of your property, you are allowed a maximum of one Animal Unit per four acres of property without a conditional use or variance. If you own less than four acres of land or have an urban, commercial or manufacturing zoning on your property then you may not have any domestic animals on the property other than household pets as defined by the Animal Care and Control By-law.

Does the Animal Care and Control By-law restrict the number of dogs and cats that I can have on my property?

Yes, the Animal Care and Control By-law makes it illegal to have more than three dogs and more than three cats that are more than four months old on a property.

What if a person would like more than three dogs or operate a dog kennel?

They would be required to make an application for a Conditional Use Order (fee $250.00). This application requires approval from the RM of Hanover Council. 

Do you sell dogs that don't get claimed at the pound?

We have at times adopted dogs that have not been claimed, but we prefer not to. If a dog is adopted through the pound, we insist that it is spay/neutered, has its rabies shots and is tattooed before it goes to the new owner.

What do you do with the dogs that are impounded?

About 23% of the dogs captured or turned in to the municipal pound keeper are returned to their owners. We place adoptable dogs with shelters or rescues where they are fully vetted before being adopted to new homes. If a dog has extreme health issues, shows signs of aggression or is unable to be placed in a shelter, it is humanely destroyed in a manner approved by provincial standards.

Which Municipal roads are restricted during Spring Road Restrictions?

The roads that are restricted to 65% of normal loading, within the RM of Hanover, are those roads that are posted with signage and mapped on our website during Spring Road Restriction period. Spring Road Restrictions generally run from March 15 to June 15 depending on road conditions. Learn more about Spring road restrictions. 

Why do I need an Aggregate Transport Licence to haul aggregate within the RM of Hanover?

An Aggregate Transport Licence allows the Municipality to recognize who is operating within the Municipality and more specifically out of which pits they are hauling. Because we have a by-law that allows us to charge the aggregate hauling levies, we want to know who is hauling and how much material they are hauling on specific haul routes to get to the local PR and PTH's. These aggregate haulers are allowed or haul weights that most other commercial carriers would be prohibited to haul on our B1 Roads, in return these haulers pay a premium of $100 per company per year (regardless of the number of vehicles) and are required to make regular reporting of how much material they have hauled on specific haul routes and to submit and transportation levies that may be owed. Learn more about aggregate mining.

How many vehicles can I store on my property?

Generally, you can store two unregistered vehicles on your property, these should be stored behind the residence and away from the public view. You may store additional unregistered vehicles within a garage or other storage buildings. Vehicles registered within the proceeding 30 days may be parked without restriction for the 30-day period. Vehicles advertised for sale should have been registered in the past 30 days as well. 

Who do I contact if I have concerns about Off Road Vehicles?

Off road vehicles fall under Provincial legislation and as such you would be required to call your local RCMP detachment.

Are Open Fires Allowed?

All open fires in Urban and Rural Residential properties are prohibited except in approved backyard fire pits.

Learn more about fire prevention

Do I have to fence my pool?

Yes, both provincial legislation and the Municipal Zoning By-law requires a fence around pools that are capable of containing a water depth greater than 24 inches. According to the by-law, you must have a minimum of a five-foot fence with a self-closing gate and lockable latch around all outdoor pools and hot tubs. The fence must be constructed in a manner as to prevent a child from crawling underneath or over top the fence.

What do I do if I have a weed control or derelict yard complaint?

Contact the RM of Hanover office at 204-326-4488 to report your complaint.  The RM will follow up on your call.