All private swimming pools and/or hot tubs capable of containing more than 24 inches (600 mm) of water require a permit and must be inspected by the Municipal Building Inspector. This includes ALL types of above and below ground pools including temporary or seasonal pools.
Swimming Pool/Hot Tub Permit Application Form (found under "Building Permit Applications" at the bottom of this page)
All private pools must be completely enclosed with a fence or other suitable barrier erected in accordance with Part 10 of the Manitoba Building Code as follows:
- The fence must have a minimum height of 1.5 meters (5 ft) including a gate which shall be self-closing and equipped with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry;
- There shall be no openings other than the entry to a building or gate and it shall be constructed so as to prevent a child from crawling under either the fence or the gate;
- Where material other than the chain link is used, the outside surface of the enclosure shall be relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds;
- Chain link fencing may be used but must be at least 11 gauge;
- The enclosure surrounding an outdoor pool shall be maintained in good repair.
Pool covers of any type, material, manufacture, or strength do not count as a suitable barrier. Hot tubs may substitute a lockable cover in place of a fence. However it must be strong enough to support the weight of an adult walking on top of it.
For more information contact the Permit Administrator at 204-346-7125 or email email@example.com.